- This event has passed.
Practical Radio and Communications for Off-Grid and Post-Disaster Environments
March 11 @ 9:00 am - March 12 @ 4:00 pm| $40 - $120
“A 2-day Intensive that will leave you confident in your abilities to work with radios in any scenario”
To complete the full Radios and Communication Systems course, students must complete both an online primer (6 hours) and a 2-day workshop. The online course is pre-recorded and can be accessed within 2 weeks of the start date of the on-site workshop.
Effective communication is a fundamental key to running any successful medical or post-disaster mission. While HAM certification is very important, there is a lot of practical information, experience and skill involved in working with radios that is not covered in the process of HAM certification – or even HAM operation on a day-to-day basis.
This course is an introductory course that will help you gain skills and knowledge needed to function as part of a medical or health-care related team in remote, urban and post-disaster environments.
The course consists of two portions:
1) Online portion: This is a prerequisite to the on-campus portion and must be completed before you take the on-campus portion. This portion of the course is filled with information about basic electronics & off-grid power supply, legal radio operations guidelines, types of radios, radio frequency spectrum and bands, practical radio usage, choosing, buying, storing and transporting radios and power supplies, antenna theory and more. This online portion can be taken alone even if you do not intend to sign up for the on-campus course.
**Even if you already have radio experience (to include HAM certification), you still must sign up for and pass the online portion of this course.
The online portion of this course includes:
· Approximately 6 hours of pre-recorded webinars
· Several downloads
· Individual Q & A through forum and email
· A final, online quiz that must be passed in order to attend the on-campus class (several attempts are allowed)
Learning the prerequisite information online allows students to step into the on-campus portion of the course ready to get their hands dirty and start gaining some experience.
The on-campus portion of the radio and communications course includes the hands-on applications of the following skills:
· Practical radio operations and communications concepts
· Equipment familiarity
· Soldering & multi-meter use
· Antennas and antenna theory
· Understanding, evaluating and using your equipment
· Off-grid (and DIY) power supply scenarios – testing, charging and using
· Packing various sizes and types of post-disaster communications kits
· DIY hacks (legal) of common radios and equipment
· Setting up a communications and dispatch center
The on-campus portion finishes with a full day of post disaster scenarios that allow you to test all of the skills you have learned, step-by-step, under increasing pressure and decreasing resources that force you to think outside the box.
Course Registration and Details
Online course tuition: $42 when paid separately
• Both online course and on-site workshop purchased together are $125 (online portion is free)
• Students may take only the online course if desired, but all students taking the on-site portion must complete the online instruction prior to the class.
Online course will be opened on February 24, 2017.
On-site workshop dates: March 11 – 12th, 2017
Students completing any school program (Engineer, Scout, Provider or Medic) will need to complete this course as part of the training. Full program details will be posted online during Fall 2016.
Tuition combo: Online + 2-day On-site radio course + 5-day Core Basic Survival training: $775 (saves $67) March 11 – 17th. Registration link
*Tuition discounts are available for payments using cash, money order or check. Please email us at the link below for information.
HOW TO REGISTER
To sign up using a credit card, visit our Square store
To sign up with Paypal, visit our Meetup page
To register with cash, money order or check, please send us an email at: