Get your wilderness first aid AND CPR certification while learning about how to set up an emergency clinic, in this winter scenario-driven 5-day course.
Learn life-saving first aid skills that can help you when there is no higher care … in a post-disaster situation, if you’re the only person available when someone gets injured, or if you want to help out at an emergency herbal clinic set up in a time of natural disaster…
You will leave with a CPR certification as well as a 16-hour Wilderness First Aid certification issued by ECSI in addition to two textbooks, and optional access to an online post-disaster herbal medicine course. There are 40 hours of on-site training and an additional (optional) 8-week course as an add-on option.
First Aid Skills Taught in the 5-Day Winter Wilderness First Aid Certification
- Primary and secondary survey
- Extrication – Field expedient methods for moving a victim, basic knot/lashing concepts
- Diagnosing and treating a wide variety of trauma and life-threatening situations
- Splinting & bandaging plus ankle and knee stabilization for walking
- High altitude injuries, heat and cold injuries
- Disease and infection
- Snake and insect bites & stings
- Head injuries
- Water purification & fluid replacement
- First Responder planning, building first aid kits and more
- Water rescue, extrication & evacuation
- Immersion & submersion injuries and incidents
- Basic rope & knot work for water environments
- Fundamental herbal care concepts – the necessary shift in thinking
- Wound Care and Infection Management using herbs
- Injury, shock, pain and herbs
- Respiratory herbal first response
- Gastrointestinal herbal first response
- Urinary herbal first response
- Planning, preparing and administering herbs
Location: Lafayette, CO at the Colorado School of Clinical Herbalism campus.
- “Wilderness First Aid: Emergency Care for Remote Locations” 3rd Edition, Jones & Bartlett Press
- “The Herbal Medic” Practical use of herbs for home, remote or post-disaster environments, by Sam Coffman
Please be aware of our cancellation/transfer policy. There are no refunds or transfers for this course.