This is a 24 hour course taught over 3 days (8 hours per day) and includes both a conventional 16-Hour Wilderness First Aid (WFA) Certification through Emergency Care and Safety Institute (ECSI) as well as more than 8 hours of herbal first aid training.
Herbal First Aid information is integrated into the curriculum every day in order to create a holistic model of remote or post-disaster care that emphasizes the essentials of first aid care while also introducing fundamental plant-medicine concepts that apply to austere or post-disaster environments.
The tuition for this course includes two books:
- Wilderness First Aid: Emergency Care for Remote Locations 3rd Edition, Jones & Bartlett Press
- The Herbal Medic Practical use of herbs for home, remote or post-disaster environments, by Sam Coffman
16-Hour WFA certification subjects include:
- Primary and secondary survey
- Extrication – Field expedient methods for moving a victim, basic knot/lashing concepts
- Diagnosing and treating a wide variety of trauma and life-threatening situations
- Splinting & bandaging plus ankle and knee stabilization for walking
- High altitude injuries, heat and cold injuries
- Disease and infection
- Snake and insect bites & stings
- Head injuries
- Water purification & fluid replacement
- First Responder planning, building first aid kits and more
Herbal First Aid subjects include:
- Fundamental herbal care concepts – the necessary shift in thinking
- Wound Care and Infection Management using herbs
- Injury, shock, pain and herbs
- Respiratory herbal first response
- Gastrointestinal herbal first response
- Urinary herbal first response
- Planning, preparing and administering herbs
Hands-on training and practice is emphasized very strongly throughout this 3-day intensive.
The certification testing for ECSI is both hands-on (done as teams) and a written test.
Wilderness first aid certification is provided by ECSI, which is created, endorsed and underwritten by the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons (AAOS) and American College of Emergency Physicians (ACEP).
A national ECSI certification card is issued which is valid for 2 years.
Registration & Details:
Dates & Times:
Please note class times and hours. We know these are long days but this is an extraordinary chance to get this great in-depth level of training.
Day 1: 8 AM – 6 PM
Day 2: 8 AM – 6 PM
Day 3: 8 AM – 2 PM
Cost: Tuition for the course is $325 , and includes two books, certification materials, herbal teas and snacks throughout the days. Please pack a bag lunch and bring whatever foods you may need to keep you happy!
Location: Class is held at Sacred Plant Traditions.