The Wilderness Herbal First Responder is 92 hours of Wilderness First Aid combined with remote and post-disaster herbalism. The WHFR also includes a 40-hour WFA certification card through the Emergency Care and Safety Institute (ECSI), CPR certification, and a Wilderness First Responder certification through The Human Path.
This is the merging of the worlds of remote or post-disaster medicine (“ditch medicine”) with the world of herbalism and includes most of the herbal information and all (plus some) of the hands-on experience of the Herbal Medic Basic course. PLUS, this course includes all of the wilderness first responder curriculum that allows the student to be a competent first aid provider right from the get-go in the case of illness, injury or even chronic health issue.
FULL COURSE DESCRIPTION IS BELOW.
This course is geared toward a number of different types of students:
• The outdoor enthusiast, camp counselor, outdoor recreational employee who wants in-depth training on injury and illness management in the field.
• The camper, hiker or rock-climber who wants more much more intensive learning, geared toward outdoor environments, than a standard first aid course.
• The prepper (disaster preparedness) who wants to be self-sufficient medically and not even necessarily reliant on orthodox pharmaceuticals.
• The herbalist who wants higher intensity training across the board from wilderness first aid to herbal medicine in a remote environment.
• The emergency medicine professional who wants to expand his/her horizons into indefinite medical care that includes botanical medicines (field herbalism).
Dates: August 1st – 10th, 2019.
Location: Sedalia, CO.
Lodging: Free camping to enrolled students on the property. Students are responsible for their own meals, but a meal plan may be available at an additional cost.
Registration will remain open until July 17th, 2019.
[fusion_content_boxes layout=”icon-with-title” columns=”1″ title_size=”” heading_size=”2″ title_color=”#000000″ body_color=”” backgroundcolor=”” icon=”” iconflip=”” iconrotate=”” iconspin=”no” iconcolor=”” icon_circle=”” icon_circle_radius=”” circlecolor=”” circlebordersize=”” circlebordercolor=”” outercirclebordersize=”” outercirclebordercolor=”” icon_size=”” icon_hover_type=”” hover_accent_color=”” image=”” image_id=”” image_width=”” image_height=”” link_type=”” button_span=”” link_area=”” link_target=”” icon_align=”left” animation_type=”” animation_delay=”” animation_offset=”” animation_direction=”left” animation_speed=”0.3″ margin_top=”” margin_bottom=”” hide_on_mobile=”small-visibility,medium-visibility,large-visibility” class=”” id=””][fusion_content_box title=”TUITION” backgroundcolor=”rgba(71,195,211,0.5)” icon=”” iconflip=”” iconrotate=”” iconspin=”no” iconcolor=”” circlecolor=”” circlebordersize=”” circlebordercolor=”” outercirclebordersize=”” outercirclebordercolor=”” image=”” image_id=”” image_width=”” image_height=”” link=”” linktext=”Read More” link_target=”” animation_type=”” animation_direction=”left” animation_speed=”0.3″ animation_offset=””]
Early bird pricing: $750 until 7/1/18. (Online prodessing fees apply)
Check/Money Order Discount: $750 (No processing fees)
Cash Discount: $675
Regular Tuition: $850/student, and includes 3 textbooks and certification cards. (Online processing fees apply)
Check/Money Order Discount: $850 (No processing fees)
To register with cash, money order or check for a tuition discount, please send us an email at:
You can review our tuition policies here: https://thehumanpath.net/about/payment-policies/
The full course includes all of the following skills:
- Extrication, movement and evacuation techniques in the field
- Primary and secondary assessment from head to toe
- Bandaging and splinting techniques from head to toe
- Taping and stabilizing musculoskeletal injuries for movement and weight bearing in the field
- Environmental injures (venomous bites & stings, heat, cold and altitude injuries, lightning, drowning & immersion)
- Land navigation skills
- Building first aid kits for a variety of scenarios
- Medicine making, herbal first aid and herbal first aid kits for a field environment
- Medicinal plant ID walks and field herbalism lectures
- Field and urban (post-disaster) hygiene and sanitation
- Sports medicine injury testing and care (short and long term): Dislocations, partial and complete connective tissue tears, fractures, scar tissue
- Immediate and long-term wound care in the field, including assessing and managing trauma from head to toe and wound & infection management
- Acute infectious diseases: Viral, bacterial, protozoal, helminthic & fungal. Gastrointestinal, respiratory, urinary tract, skin.
- Stabilizing, packaging and transporting injured, including long-range evacuation and survival basics and considerations: improvised stretchers, carries, water rescue
- Using rope, webbing, knots and lashings
- Chronic illnesses in the field, including diabetes, hypertension, cardiovascular-related illness, arthritis, digestive issues, depression, emotional issues, COPD
- Medical emergencies
- Shock and pain management
- Client history and vital signs, long term management
- Introduction to basic survival skills
- Trauma scenarios
- Post-disaster or remote clinic (trauma, dispatch, command and control center) and apothecary setup
- Clinical experience: Setting up and working in a remote or post-disaster herbal clinic with actual clients
- Setting up and running a first aid clinic (remote events, protests, etc.)
- Three books
- Three certification cards:
- 80-hour WFR card (for those completing and passing the full course)
- ECSI Advanced 40-hour WFA card (for those completing the full course)
- CPR certification
- WHFR certificate (92 hour)